Thursday, October 30, 2008

Animal Congregations...or, what do you call a group of....?

A Superb Starling joined us for breakfast one morning. I don't remember him actually singing...I think he was simply yawning. :)


I thought I'd take a look at what groups of animals in Africa might be called and stumbled upon a great list for mammals, birds, etc. Here are just a few of the ones I found:



  • Apes= A shrewdness

  • Badgers= A cete

  • Buffalo= A gang

  • Giraffes= A tower

  • Hippos= A bloat (of course!)

  • Leopards= A leap

  • Monkeys= A troop or a barrel (ah ha! so that's where the expression comes from)

  • Porcupines= A prickle

  • Rhinos= A crash


and for our fine feathered friends...




  • Flamingos= A stand

  • Owls= A parliment

  • Plovers=A congregation

  • Starlings= A murmuration

  • Storks= A mustering

There are many more but I thought I'd start with these few for now. Enjoy!

Cathy



No comments: